Connecting with nature is one of the fashionable phrases of the moment, an almost ready-made expression that encompasses many important concepts: biophilia, Life Reset, meditation, horticotherapy, art therapy, phytotherapy… Why should human beings return to their roots and connect with nature? What are the benefits of integrating biophilia into our daily lives? Today we tell you all this and much more here, keep reading!
What does it really mean to connect with nature?
This phrase: “connect with nature”, can have multiple synonyms, but we love one in particular: biophilia.
Biophilia is a term invented by the great psychologist, philosopher and humanist Erich Fromm (1900-1980), a writer you may know from key works such as “The Art of Loving” or “The Fear of Freedom”. According to Fromm, biophilia is “the passion for everything living”, a fairly generic definition that could be expanded as that deep feeling (passion) of the human being when he comes into contact with his environment, that affinity that human beings feel for all living beings that accompany us on our life path including ourselves.
You may also be interested in the following article: Discover the best places for rural tourism in Colombia
Connecting with nature is, like this:
- A feeling innate to the human being, normal and healthy.
- A passion to protect, love and care for all living beings, including plants and animals of any species (including humans).
- A vital need that, if not satisfied, can have serious negative effects on our physical, mental and emotional health.
Main benefits of connecting with nature
In the same way that moving away from nature makes the planet and ourselves sick, connecting with nature brings us innumerable benefits for the mind and body, mental and physical benefits as important as the following:
If you want to book some of our amazing tours, click HERE
- Decrease in negative stress levels and all associated pathologies and conditions such as anguish, sadness, malaise, depression…
- Increased creative and artistic ability.
- Improved memory in the short, medium and long term.
- Increased self-esteem.
- Improvement in the quality of sleep, a benefit that results directly in the effective control of certain associated pathologies: chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, hyperactivity, etc.
- Control of blood pressure, something that directly results in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases as important as heart failure, heart attack, chronic arrhythmia, etc.
- Improvement of our immune system, our defenses against viruses, bacteria, etc.
- Improvement of our endocrine system, something that has a positive effect on the prevention and control of pathologies related to our digestive, sexual, metabolic systems, etc.
- Relaxation of our muscles, something that reduces the chronic pain of certain diseases of inflammatory origin such as sciatica, low back pain, ankylosing spondylitis, etc.
How can we connect with nature?
As we have seen so far, reconnecting with nature is not a whim, but a vital need for anyone who wants to feel good about themselves on a physical, psychological and emotional level. But how can we connect with nature in this noisy and stressful 21st century? In many and varied ways as simple as the following:
- Art therapy activities. Go on an excursion and collect stones to paint them, go looking for blackberries to make a cake, take a photographic walk through the beautiful towns of the province… There are many art therapy activities that you can practice as a couple or as a family to give free rein to your creativity using the simple treasures that mother nature makes us.
- Outdoor sports. Practicing a sport adapted to your physical conditions is highly recommended, but if you also do it outside, your endorphins will fire and the physical and emotional benefits will multiply.
- Guided meditation therapies. Today there are many guided meditation therapies that take advantage of the peace and silence of the forest or the beach to increase the effectiveness of the exercises: forest baths, mindfulness, etc.
- Participate in an excursion from Ecosierra Perdida Tours. Ecosierra Perdida Tours offers its clients selected adventures that range from calm and spiritual to extreme and exciting, to ensure that you and your group of friends and/or family get exactly the experience you are looking for.